⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits handling of fuzzy time units

From: Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:21:08 -0700

On 3/18/11 12:21 PM, John Caron wrote:
> CF has the calendar attribute (see section 4.4.1)

and thanks for posting that -- so that's taken care of.

> well, plenty of algorithms just want, say, the monthly average. but if
> you want to know the exact time interval, you need a library that deals
> with calendars. the nice thing about the current udunits way of doing
> things is that the data provider calculates the interval for you.
> unfortunately, for complicated cases, she may not do it correctly (so we
> should create a standard library that does it), and/or the calendar date
> that you derive from the time unit may not be what was intended (so we
> should create a standard library that does it)

I'm all for libraries, but it seems like code for "calculate the monthly
average" of a given data set has nothing to do with CF, and is getting
beyond what udunits should do, and probably beyond what a reference
library associated with CF should be.

That would be in a lib for doing met/ocean time series analysis would
have in it. I"m sure there are a number of these.

Here's one I know of, but haven't used:

http://pytseries.sourceforge.net/

Right there in the home page is says: "Convert a daily time series to
monthly by taking the average value during each month"

So what CF needs is to specify the data in a way that a lib like that
can use it. It seems we are approaching that.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer