⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits handling of fuzzy time units

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:22:47 -0400

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov>wrote:

> P.S. Together with enhancing udunits to handle the formatting of
> date-time strings,it would be natural to add the same functionality for
> longitudes, too. Ditto degrees of temperature -- degrees F, C and K.
> Again -- the challenges of handling times are found in the other units, too
> (admittedly with less complexity and MUCH less baggage attached).
>
> I have to admit I extended udunits for perhaps these problems a long time
ago, but there was no way to get my changes back in the original code. I
added another component to the units structure so that it would keep track
of the direction, so that degrees_north and degrees_east were
distinguishable, and I was careful to distinguish between degree_Celsius (no
origin) and Celsius_scale (origin) (which is not a code change, just a
change in the .dat file that holds all the unit definitions to define terms
with clear meanings). As for time, I did define both seconds and years as
different physical units, but that was long before multiple calendars which
is the better solution.

I agree with Steve that we still need to discuss and debate the fundementals
-- the discussion so far would invalidate a lot of our current data files
for no particular reason.

Benno

Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          benno at iri.columbia.edu
International Research Institute for climate and society
The Earth Institute at Columbia University
Lamont Campus, Palisades NY 10964-8000   (845) 680-4450