⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-metadata Digest, Vol 95, Issue 10

From: Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:47:58 -0700

On 3/15/11 3:20 PM, Bob Simons wrote:

> * Isn't part of the problem related to udunits having single values for
> the length of a month and a year,

no, the problem is that there is no such thing as a "month" as a
standard length of time, so it shouldn't be used that way.

> In that spirit, I encourage
> support for something like "calendar_months since" and "calendar_years
> since" for data related to monthly or yearly data.

To me, the primary reason to use a "time-delta since" structure is that
you get an array or values that is continuous and meaningful -- you can
directly use it to do things that Steve suggests:

Calculate integrals, derivatives, smoothing
use as the X-axis on a plot
etc.

All that requires that the time unit be something consistent. a calendar
month is not a consistent unit of time.

if you have data that is associated with a calendar month, then I think
it should be labeled with:

January, Feb, etc.

It's very common to have tables of data that may be irregularly spaced
have a field(s) for the date-time -- why not use that approach?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer