⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names - use of "sedimentation"

From: Tomoo Ogura <ogura>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:57:15 +0900

Dear Bert,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

In the proposed new standard names, the word "sedimentation"
was meant to represent the gravitational settling of cloud
liquid water droplets.
I agree that the above usage of "sedimentation" does not
match a transition from one medium to another. Therefore,
we may need to look for another word to avoid confusion.

As an alternative, the suggested word "settling" sounds
good to me. In this case, the proposed standard names
will be as follows;

(a) tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water
    _in_air_due_to_settling_of_cloud_liquid_water,
and
(b) tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_condensed_water
    _in_air_due_to_settling_of_cloud_liquid_water.

Best wishes,

Tomoo