⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF and ISO19115

From: Ted Habermann <Ted.Habermann>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:06:19 -0700

Hello all,

There was some recent discussion about challenges related to adding ISO
metadata to netCDF files. Rich Signell mentioned some work my group has
been doing recently and John Graybeal pointed out that initially that
work has focused on the NcML > ISO side of the equation. We have also
focused on the Data Discovery Conventions more than the more use
oriented CF-Conventions.

As Martin Schultz pointed out initially, the problem is meshing the well
developed ISO structure with the parameter-value tradition of netCDF.
The current approach I am experimenting with involves creating
components of ISO documentation that are identified by UUID's and
embedding those UUID's as values for attributes with standard names in
the netCDF, possibly in a special group called ISO_Metadata (whatever).
The names of these attributes would indicate their location in the full
ISO record and they would be inserted into the record during a
translation step. This would create a record with references that could
then be resolved at the users request. There is a discussion of this
general approach to the ISO at
https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=ISO_Components. It may be
a step in the right direction...?

BTW, there are also some revisions to 19115 that are in the pipeline and
will help with the CF->ISO translation. These are described at
https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=Coverages_and_ISO_Metadata

Ted Habermann

--
      Enterprise Data Systems Group Leader