⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF and ISO19115

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:33:35 -0800

So I may be missing the mark, but I see Martin's request as being about encoding ISO-compatible data into NetCDF files, whereas at first glance the NOAA/Unidata work appears to be about transforming pure NetCDF data/metadata into ISO format.

It seems to me a fundamental question is whether you want to encode a complete ISO file as a single text attribute, or ISO attributes as NetCDF attributes using a standard transformation. Either could be done systematically. An entire file will gracefully interoperate with ISO tools with very little further negotation about the standard way to go back and forth; but will be relatively opaque with plain netCDF tools. An attribute-based approach will require a bit more thought and specification up front, but will give you independent netCDF attributes which might be more easily viewable in a strictly netCDF context. (Of course, all those attributes could bury the native attributes.)

In OOI's CI software we may want to capture ISO metadata in the Common Data Model, so the resolution of this question will be of some interest.

John