⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF data model

From: Bryan Lawrence <bryan.lawrence>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:28:54 +0000

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for doing this. I think it's an important step.

Unequiviocally: CF needs an explict data model, independent of netCDF!

My take on this is that the right way to go forward is to produce an
abstract description (aka a data model) for CF as is now - which means
it explicitly includes NetCDF dependencies.

Then we explicity identify those dependencies (and assumptions) and
identify the underlying data model.

In doing so, I think we want to use *existing* data modelling tools and
language, rather than inventing our own.

I had a stab at this a few years ago, an image of which is attached. I
know it's wrong in a couple of details, but I never got back to finish
it. Had I done so, I would have documented (*) it and shared it with the
CF community. then.

(* by which I mean, explain in more neutral langauge what the UML was
intended to convey).

With those thoughts in mind, a couple of comments on your web page.

Firsty, and most importantly, most of the important ideas are there, and
I think it's a great start. however, it's in the nature of these things
to criticise:

- I don't like the concept of a space construct. It's a new term to me
which doesn't carry any useful attributes. I much prefer the use of
object, which *is* a language neutral term (in data modelling). If you
use object, you can then use existing data modelling tools and
voabularies.

-I don't like central assumptions that are violated. Either we make it
or we don't. You can make that assumption property of some attributes of
space constructs.

- I think text without pictures is just as unhelpful as pictures without
text (my version :-).

With my last point in mind, and in an effort to be constructive: howabout
I spend an afternoon with you, and see if we can get my picture and your
text congruent? We might as well exploit our geographic adjacency :-)

Cheers
Bryan