⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for standard_name="sea_binary_mask"

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:34:27 -0800

Dear all,

It might be useful to distinguish between two types of masks:

1) a mask that indicates where valid data exists
2) masks that are useful in sub-selecting data (e.g., certain regions,
certain area_type(s), certain time samples, etc.).

For case 1, it would seem to be redundant to define the mask, since
invalid data should be indicated by the missing_value. I therefore
would not be in favor of defining a mask for this purpose.

For case 2, different researchers will presumably want to access
different subsets of the data, so there would often be multiple maps
(for different surface types, for example) that could be associated with
the data. If that is the case, how can software know what to do with
any masks it might infer should be associated with the data?

So the case 2 mask(s) might fall into a category of information that
might be quite useful in processing the data (somewhat like the areas or
volumes pointed to by the cell_measures attribute), but different users
would want to access different masks. The masks are not some attribute
of the primary data itself. Note that we don't provide information
about the northward wind component in our description of the eastward
wind component, even though it might be essential for an analyst to know
this if he wanted to compute say a wind speed or the vorticity. Why is
some mask a "more intimate" field, which requires us to say it is an
attribute of (or associated with) the primary field of interest?

Best regards,
Karl