⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF feature types and definitions

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:41:28 -0500

Bob's message reminds me that once these terms are agreed upon
they may be used for many purposes, across many different types
of systems, while a lot of the discussion of this convention has been
focused on just describing the shape of a chunk of data to be returned
by software queries.

For that reason, I still feel strongly that 'timeSeries' data should be
defined in a way that allows data from moored instruments at multiple
depths in a single file. In the current version, the term 'location' in
the
definition of the timeSeries feature type is misleading; it can be taken
as x-y location, but I think you mean x-y-z. The definition needs to
be more specific, and I hope it will allow multiple depths.

A time-consuming search of the email archive didn't turn up a specific
message, but I recall that in the past I've been told that moorings with
data at different depths should be classified as a collection of profiles.
While that might be acceptable in terms of defining the shape of the
data returned in a query, it will not be useful when these terms are used
in other ways.

There's a big difference between a series of profiles at a single x-y
location
and a time series of data taken at the same x-y location by different
instruments at different depths. Not only are different variables measured
at different depths, the characteristics of the measurements can be
different -
instruments have different response times, resolution/accuracy, ranges,
etc.

As I've said before, it would be a pretty hard sell to describe our station
time series data sets as collections of profiles; a terrific 2d time series
is not likely to be seen as a good collection of profiles.

I hope we can find a better way to include data from moored buoys in
this vocabulary, without having to distort the data into something else.

Thanks -
Nan

On 12/23/10 11:06 AM, John Caron wrote:
> Attached is a message from Bob Simon at ERD/NOAA pointing out the
> inconsistencies in "data type" and "feature type" names in various
> Unidata related efforts. The almost-ready CF discrete sampling
> proposal has made a start at standardizing some of these names, and
> there is an interest, I think, between Steve, Jon and I to extend that
> to other types like grid. Essentially its a controlled vocabulary for
> classifying data.
>
> If this group is interested, I would propose a new ticket that would
> add probably an Appendix that would specify this vocabulary and their
> definitions. I anticipate it will be added to and clarified over time.
>
> John

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *