⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds not allowed for scalar coordinate variables

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:50:05 -0800

Dear all,

Does anyone remember, why we didn't allow the "bounds" attribute to be
attached to a scalar coordinate variable? Currently CF requires the
user to include a dimension a size one if he wants to define coordinate
bounds:

"The advantage of using a coordinate variable is that all its attributes
can be used to describe the single-valued quantity, including boundaries."

Is there any good reason for this restriction on use of a scalar
coordinate variable?

[Note that we also, don't allow an "axis" attribute to be attached to a
scalar coordinate variable, and I also don't remember why we did this.]

Best regards,
Karl