⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] help with gaussian latitudes

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:59:52 -0500

im looking at an grib1 file from Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling,
downloaded here:

http://cera-www.dkrz.de/WDCC/ui/Compact.jsp?acronym=CCCma_CGCM2_SRES_A2

the docs on that page says that

"The atmospheric component AGCM2 is a spectral model with
triangular truncation at wave no. 32 and 10 vertical levels."

the actual grib file has 48 lats and the parameter N = "Gaussian Grid: N
- number of latitude circles between a pole and the equator Mandatory
if Gaussian Grid specified" equals 20.

My code thinks that with N = 20, the maximum lats should be 40. If
anyone can shed any light or send me a reference I would be grateful.

John