⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Mass content standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:58:48 +0000

Dear All,

Tim Nightingale has drawn my attention to the fact that we have two
standard names in the table that appear to have identical meanings:
atmosphere_water_vapor_content and
atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor (both kg m-2). One of these names
should be made the alias of the other.

atmosphere_water_vapor_content is the older name, dating back at least
to version 1 of the table, while atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor
first appeared in version 12 of the table, dated July 2009. The question
is which name should be chosen as the current version and which one made
into an alias?

There are nine other existing names that use the phrase
atmosphere_water_vapor_content so my initial reaction was to keep the
original version of the name and make
atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor its alias. This would keep the
consistent wording of the existing water vapor content names and require
the creation of only one alias.

However, a closer look at the standard name table reveals that we have
234 atmosphere_mass_content and tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content
names which have been introduced over the last couple of years for the
atmospheric chemistry community. I don't think we should have two
syntaxes for atmosphere mass content quantities, so I am now proposing
that we should bring the following existing names in line with the
chemistry names:
atmosphere_cloud_condensed_water_content ->
atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_condensed_water
atmosphere_cloud_ice_content -> atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_ice
atmosphere_cloud_liquid_water_content ->
atmosphere_mass_content_of_cloud_liquid_water
atmosphere_convective_cloud_condensed_water_content ->
atmosphere_mass_content_of_convective_cloud_condensed_water
atmosphere_convective_cloud_liquid_water_content ->
atmosphere_mass_content_of_convective_cloud_liquid_water
atmosphere_sulfate_content -> atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate
atmosphere_water_content -> atmosphere_mass_content_of_water
atmosphere_water_vapor_content -> atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor
change_over_time_in_atmosphere_water_content_due_to_advection ->
change_over_time_in_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_due_to_advection
cloud_condensed_water_content_of_atmosphere_layer ->
mass_content_of_cloud_condensed_water_in_atmosphere_layer
cloud_ice_content_of_atmosphere_layer ->
mass_content_of_cloud_ice_in_atmosphere_layer
cloud_liquid_water_content_of_atmosphere_layer ->
mass_content_of_cloud_liquid_water_in_atmosphere_layer
lwe_thickness_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content ->
lwe_thickness_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_content_due_to_advection ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_due_to_advection
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content_due_to_advection ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_advection
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content_due_to_convection ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_convection
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content_due_to_deep_convection ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_deep_convectio
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content_due_to_shallow_convection ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_shallow_convec
tion
tendency_of_atmosphere_water_vapor_content_due_to_turbulence ->
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_vapor_due_to_turbulence
tendency_of_water_vapor_content_of_atmosphere_layer ->
tendency_of_mass_content_of_water_vapor_in_atmosphere_layer
tendency_of_water_vapor_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_convection ->
tendency_of_mass_content_of_water_vapor_in_atmosphere_layer_due_to_conve
ction
tendency_of_water_vapor_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_deep_convecti
on ->
tendency_of_mass_content_of_water_vapor_in_atmosphere_layer_due_to_deep_
convection
tendency_of_water_vapor_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_shallow_conve
ction ->
tendency_of_mass_content_of_water_vapor_in_atmosphere_layer_due_to_shall
ow_convection
tendency_of_water_vapor_content_of_atmosphere_layer_due_to_turbulence ->
tendency_of_mass_content_of_water_vapor_in_atmosphere_layer_due_to_turbu
lence
water_content_of_atmosphere_layer ->
mass_content_of_water_in_atmosphere_layer
water_vapor_content_of_atmosphere_layer ->
mass_content_of_water_vapor_in_atmosphere_layer

This would require creating a total of 27 aliases. However all the mass
content names would then be consistent across the table and their syntax
would also be more consistent with existing
atmosphere_mass_concentration and atmosphere_number_content names.
Having a consistent syntax will reduce the likelihood of introducing
duplicate names in the future. Comments on this proposal are invited.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--
Scanned by iCritical.