⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Correct name for aerosol size distributionexpressedin numbers ?

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:46:50 +0000

Dear Jonathan and Bruno,

I agree with Jonathan's point that the particle size is a geophysical
parameter, so we should not refer to 'bins' in the standard name. I
think 'size' is too ambiguous a term so I vote for
aerosol_particle_radius or aerosol_particle_diameter.

Jonathan is correct that we do have existing standard names that refer
to the effective radius of cloud particles. However, we also have
aerosol name explanations that refer to the particle diameters, e.g.,
the explanation of
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_pm1_ambient_aerosol says "Pm1
aerosol" is an air pollutant with an aerodynamic diameter of less than
or equal to 1 micrometer." Personally, I don't mind whether we refer to
radius or diameter, but if diameter is the most commonly used measure of
aerosols then it makes sense to use it in the name.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

;