⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposing new standard names.

From: Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:45:29 +0100

Dear all,

   Last month, I wrote about the lack of variable name for a local
measurement of liquid water content.

   Jonathan Gregory made some constructive remarks, and, since then,
nobody opposed.

   So, I would like to have these names added in the the next version of
the official list. What is the proper procedure ? Is there some kind of
formal proposal to write (a RFC) ?

I recall hereafter what we came up to. Definition and size limits are my
own, I couldn't find any definitive and authoritative numerical values,
so I used "commonly accepted" ones. Do yous think that we should add
"about" ou "approximately" before the numbers in the definition ?

mass_concentration_of_cloud_liquid_water_in_air
  Mass concentration means mass per unit volume. Cloud_liquid_water
means droplet that are not large enough to fall under common
circonstances (up to 40 ?m diameter).

mass_concentration_of_drizzle_in_air
  Mass concentration means mass per unit volume. Drizzle means droplets
with diameter between 40 and 700 ?m.

mass_concentration_of_rain_in_air
  Mass concentration means mass per unit volume. Rain means drops of
diameter larger than 0.7 mm. This quantity corresponds to
mass_fraction_of_rain_in_air (which is expressed as ratio of the mass of
rain to the mass of air plus rain).

mass_concentration_of_liquid_water_in_air
  Mass concentration means mass per unit volume. All kinds of droplets
and drops are taken into account, whatever their sizes or falling speed.

Bruno.
--
Bruno PIGUET
 M?l : bruno.piguet at meteo.fr |  GAME : URA CNRS & METEO-FRANCE