⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Codification of climatological variable "diurnal temperature range"

From: José María Rodríguez González <jrodriguezg>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:27:14 +0000

Dear all,

I am quite new to netCDF file format, so please excuse me if my question
is not appropriate to this list. I am compiling a dataset with several
climatological variables. One of them is the diurnal temperature range
(DTR). I think that the obvious way to describe this data would be
similar to the maximum or minimum temperature, using a cell_methods
attribute and a standard_name attribute for the temperature variable.
The problem is that the list of cell_methods in appendix E does not
include an entry for the 'range' as the absolute difference between the
maximum and the minimum (it has, however, an option to describe the
mid_range, as the average of these two values). My question is: is there
a workaround to describe this data? or should I just forget about the
standard_name attribute and choose a representative long_name for my data?

Thank you,

Chema