⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] point observation data in CF 1.4

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:19:34 -0600

On 11/2/2010 2:45 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
> On 11/2/10 6:09 AM, Wright, Bruce wrote:
>> Sorry for a late follow-up (and once again breaking the thread), but
>> below is some feedback from our guys running the particle trajectory
>> models at the Met Office, which I think highlight the difficulties
>> storing particle trajectories efficiently.
>
> Thanks for the comments -- this supports what some conclusions had had been coming to:
>
>> In a long (multi-year) air quality or risk assessment run, the total
>> number of particles followed could be a thousand times the maximum
>> number existing at any one time ...That suggests that
>> padding out arrays to the total number of particles is not a sensible
>> option.
>
> Agreed, I've decided that that's not the way to go.
>
> ... in
>> that it links particles arbitrarily according to whether they reuse the
>> same space).
>
> right -- that really isn't an option -- yes the storage space can be re-used, but it wouldn't mean that a given space in the array meant anything.
>
>> An alternative is, at each time, to store the particle data and for this
>> to include a particle id, without attempting to link particles at
>> different times.
>
> I think this is the way to go. In fact, I think the particle ID could be optional -- some applications don't keep an ID, and most post processing does care about the ID. However, an ID could be handy for linking particle properties that might be constant over time, but vary among particles, rather than storing the property over an over again.
>
>> However retrieving a trajectory is then difficult as
>> will have to search each time for the particle id required.
>
> Yes, it would. My thought is that this is OK price to pay. In models that create and destroy particles, the trajectory of an individual particle is generally not of interest. Far more common is wanting to know about the collection of particles at a given time, so that's what should be easy to extract.
>
>> Storing
>> start and end time for each particle id would help, but restoring a
>> complete trajectory would still be inefficient. One can think of ways
>> round this: in a computer language one would have an array for each
>> particle id giving the indices in each time slice corresponding to the
>> particle (these arrays could be offset relative to the particle start
>> time so they would not have to be very long), and then an array of such
>> structures, one for each particle id. Can NetCDF do that?
>
> Maybe, but the data can be re-constructed, so I wouldn't bother. Yes, it would require reading the whole file for one particles trajectory, but I don't think that's a common use case -- am I wrong? are folks likely to want to extract a particular particle's trajectory from a big data set?
>
>> To make things more difficult it might also be useful to store
>> trajectories with different length time-steps for different
> [...]

1) It seems clear that at each time step, you need to write out the data for whatever particles currently exist. I assume that if you wanted to break up the data for a very long run, you would partition by time, ie time steps 1-1000, 1001-2000, etc. would be in seperate files.

2) Apparently the common read pattern is to retrieve the set of particles at a given time step. If so, that makes things easier.

3) I assume that you want to be able to figure out an individual particle's trajectory, even if that doesnt need to be optimized for speed.

Questions:
0) are those reasonable assumptions?
1) is the avg number (Navg) of particles that exist much smaller, or approx the same as the max number (Nmax) that exist at one time step?
2) How much data is associated with each particle at a given time step (just an estimate needed here - 10 bytes? 1000 bytes?)