⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] time as ISO strings

From: Benno Blumenthal <benno>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:15:18 -0400

Hi Ben,

First of all, you are spending a lot of time talking about what many
of us think as the parsing of the offset in the units string when it
is passed to udunits, which makes it seem like a side issue, probably
unfairly.

ISO8601, as pointed out before, is not designed as a science standard,
it is a business exchange standard, so they can get away with

1) first deciding to skip year 0000, then changing their minds and
insisting on year zero (Note that xSchema dateTime was based on the
earlier choice, so it continues to skip year zero).

2) ISO8601, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601, is
proleptic_gregorian, by mutual agreement. Also, one can put more
digits in the year, again b y mutual agreement. That is not exactly
what one expects from a time representation standard for science,
which needs things stately clearly or left undetermined. They do say,
however, that time should be continuous at the day granularity, which
forces the conclusion, mutual agreement or not.

Note that XML Schema merely says there is no year 0000
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/. Whether they
mean by this is that earlier times should be represented by year -2
when ISO8601 says year -1, or they mean you cannot represent just year
0000, or you cannot represent times before year 0000, is hard to say.
Aren't commercial standards wonderful?

So it would seem that conforming to ISO8601 would require proleptic
gregorian calendar support, not in the concrete sense of parsing a
udunits string but in the more general sense of a continuous numeric
representation of time corresponding to ISO8601. And the "standard"
calendar in udunits is not actually the "standard" calendar of
ISO8601. So it would seem that at least proleptic_gregorian support
in udunits is essential for future ease of use.

Benno