⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data -- zenith & azimuth angles

From: Evan Manning <Evan.M.Manning>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:59:13 -0700

Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro" <alejandro.bodas at metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
> To:?"Lowry, Roy K" <rkl at bodc.ac.uk>, "Aleksandar Jelenak" <Aleksandar.Jelenak at noaa.gov>, <cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu>

> Do we need to include any reference to instrument, platform or
> satellite? It seems to me that the complexity arises because the
> reference lines from which the angle is defined are different in
> different applications. Wouldn't it be better to use zenith_angle and
> scan_angle with respect to fixed reference lines and include an
> attribute that accounts for any offset with respect to that?
> For instance, scan_angle would be referenced against the nadir of the
> object. If the instrument is tilted with respect to that line and you
> want to represent the angle with respect to the reference instrument
> line of sight, then the offset will be /=0.

Typically we talk about solar zenith and azimuth angles and satellite/platform
angles. These are angles from the observed location to the sun or to
the platform. So we can't use simple "zenith_angle" etc.

view_angle and scan_angle could be used without the qualifier. That's
a good suggestion.

  -- Evan