⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 07:43:41 -0400

Dear all

I think there are two principles to be kept in mind for CF standard names:

* We should try to use words with consistent meanings, and not use synonyms.

* We should include enough information in each standard name for it to be
self-explanatory. In a given dataset, the standard name should often be enough
to distinguish quantities (apart from other standardised CF metadata such as
cell_methods and coordinates). That means the standard name should not be too
generic, but quite specific if necessary. We should not have to rely on other
non-standardised information (such as long_names) to make distinctions.