⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for satellite obs data

From: Aleksandar Jelenak <Aleksandar.Jelenak>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 07:58:29 -0400

Dear Olivier,

Thanks for your comments.

Lauret Olivier wrote on 10/18/10 10:51 AM:
> That sounds interesting because you are suggesting to introduce
> different quantities whether they are collocated or not.

No, I proposed standard names only for data obtained by calculating mean
or standard deviation from subsets of original instrument observations
over collocation targets/scenes.

> ? Are you sure you need a standard name such as "time_label_iso8601"?
> I mean: isn't it possible to use "time" standard name instead? (And
> put somewhere that it is ISO 8601 compliant information, like in
> 'long name' attribute)

It is possible and I can think of several alternative ways of doing that
('comments' variable attribute?). I am not sure though if it would be
appropriate to use the standard name associated with numerical time data.

> ? In principle, you could consider that a collocated quantity is the
> same geophysical quantity that a non collocated one.

It is, I am not proposing to change that.

> But it is also true that identifying collocated quantities with CF
> attributes could ease some processes, when comparing temporal series.
> If we suppose that, how would you identify two quantities like eg
> "toa_outgoing_spectral_radiance_mean_within_collocation_target" that
> are defined by two different collocation targets?

By having variables with collocation targets' latitude and longitude.
There are two general cases: fixed ground targets, and opportunistic
targets whenever collocation criteria is satisfied.

        -Aleksandar