⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking new CF standard names (9) for sea surface wave parameters

From: andrew walsh <awalsh>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:43:30 +1100

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply which summarises very well our
discussions thus far. From your reply I deduce that you are accepting
the following 5 proposed names:

sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_amplitude
sea_surface_wave_zeroth_spectral_moment

sea_surface_wave_mean_crest_period
sea_surface_wave_significant_wave_period
sea_surface_wave_period_at_second_peak_of_the_spectrum

This if fine except that I think
'sea_surface_wave_period_at_second_peak_of_the_spectrum'
should be re-named
'sea_surface_wave_period_at_second_largest_peak_of_the_energy_spectrum'
as the word 'largest' will make it less ambiguous.

For the other 4 proposed parameters, you propose to construct meaning using a
combination
of a standard name (concept) 'sea_surface_wave_height' and an appropriate cell
method
as shown in the following list:

CF std. name; cell_method; constructed meaning (name)

sea_surface_wave_height; time: root_mean_square;
sea_surface_wave_height_root_mean_square
sea_surface_wave_height; time: mean_of_upper_decile;
sea_surface_wave_height_mean_of_upper_decile

sea_surface_wave_height; time: mean; sea_surface_wave_height_mean
sea_surface_wave_height; time: maximum; sea_surface_wave_height_maximum

The above will require 2 new cell methods: root_mean_square and
mean_of_upper_decile.

In can see the advantages of using the cell methods as you explained however
how well that will fit into existing vocabularies and the idea of having a
'common concepts' is
up to others on the list to discuss.

As you noted for our project (IMOS+AODN) we can continue using long_name(s) for
the above
9 parameters and I propose to do that for now because I can see it will take
some
time before the CF metadata community reaches agreement. However I think we have
made a good start as 5 out of 9 proposed isn't too bad!

In answer to your questions:

1) Root mean square amplitude (Yrms)

This is derived from the wave energy spectrum E(f) analysis not from the wave
height recording.
Yrms is the square root of the zeroth spectral moment (M0) i.e Yrms=sqrt(M0)
where M0 is the
area under the wave energy spectrum curve.

The 'sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_amplitude' is calculated from the wave
energy
spectrum not to be confused with the 'sea_surface_wave_height_root_mean_square'
which
is calculated from zero crossing analysis of the wave height recording.

2) Zeroth spectral Moment (M0)

Yes M0 is related (mathematically) to the existing 2 CF standard names i.e
sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_first|second_frequency_moment.

Here is the maths:

M0=integral( E(f) df ) - area under the spectrum curve
M1=integral( E(f)*f df )
M2=integral( E(f)*f^2 df )

and

sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_first_frequency_moment
[T(m1)]
T(m1) = M0/M1

sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_second_frequency_moment
[T(m2)]
T(m2) = sqrt(M0/M2)

Andrew Walsh
Data Facililator - Australian Ocean Data Network