⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 cryosphere standard names and standard CMIP5 output

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:49:30 +0100

Dear Siobhan and Karl,

As far as standard names are concerned, I think we need to go ahead and
introduce two new names:

integral_of_sea_ice_temperature_wrt_depth_expressed_as_heat_content;
Jm-2
sea_ice_albedo; 1.

If a single sea_ice albedo is required and snow cover is to be diagnosed
separately, then I think we don't need to introduce the new area_type of
snow_free_sea_ice at the moment.

As far as CMIP5 output is concerned, it seems we need to re-introduce
two saved fields as follows:

OImon: Long Name: "Thermal Energy Content of Snow on Sea Ice" Standard
Name: thermal_energy_content_of_surface_snow Units: J m-2 cell_methods:
"time: mean area: mean where sea-ice" dimensions: longitude latitude
time
LImon: Long Name: "Thermal Energy Content of Snow on Land" Standard
Name: thermal_energy_content_of_surface_snow Units: J m-2 cell_methods:
"time: mean area: mean where land" dimensions: longitude latitude time

OImon row 39 needs to have the units changed to J m-2 and a standard
name of
integral_of_sea_ice_temperature_wrt_depth_expressed_as_heat_content.

For the sea_ice albedo I think we need:
OImon row 23 with a standard name of sea_ice_albedo and cell_methods:
"time: mean area: mean where sea_ice"

If any further discussion of the CMIP5 output is needed, I suggest that
we move it away from the mailing list as it isn't strictly a CF matter
now that the standard names are (hopefully) agreed.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

Report

--