⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 cryosphere standard names

From: Siobhan.O'farrell at csiro.au <Siobhan.O'farrell>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:28:27 +1000

Dear Jonathan and Alison,

I have been working through Alison's 10 points.

1) Agreed,

2) I think Jonathan's sub categories where snow_on_sea_ice and snow_free_sea_ice approach helps here, we definitely want the surface temperature over the ice portion of the grid cell rather than over the whole grid cell (using cell methods). Also the interface temperature between snow and ice is important to account for, as it is much warmer than the surface temperature due to the thermal insulation on snow so I am no two worried about the case when there is no snow cover but again the snow_on_sea ice (area type) would help to prevent the confusion.

3) Agreed

4) Agreed

5) Agreed

6) It makes sense to separate the water flux from snow and rainfall as the impact differently on the surface using the cell methods would indicate them onto the sea ice portion of the cell. Some rain may penetrate into the ice lattice if it s very porous Jonathan or contribute to melt ponds in the Arctic summer, but I don't know of a sea ice models IN CMIP5 that sophisticated to allow for that effect.

7) Agreed use ice floes

8) Sea ice thermal energy, I am a bit confused on the history on this one there were two requests originally made in my 2008 document sent To Karl and circulated through the cryosphere community.

The first was
Snow_thermal_energy_content Snth new Jm-2 month 1 all

For the land surface component. It was in an earlier version of Karl's document (I had saved 16/6/2009) but is not in the latest 17/9/2010.

The sea ice heat content was given as

integral_of_sea_ice_temperature_wrt_depth_expressed_as_heat_content hcice New Jm-2 Month 1 All

It looks like they retained the hcice name but changed the units.

So I am puzzled as well, I think it should be Jm-2.

The issue of whether the heat content of the snow over the ice should be included is highlighted, it is possible, but it would be preferable as separate variable, as the thermal properties are very different form the ice, and it could confuse interpretation of result if they were merged into one effect (Unless you are using the UM, Jonathan where the atmosphere model treats the two media as if they are combined).

9) I still support the need for a sea ice albedos, my comments on whether it is total or bare still stand, again it should be defined on the sea ice portion of the grid. Alison's suggestion of an area type snow_free_ice could help distinguish it is bare, but if the snow depth is also known, then that would be clearer, though there will be transition months as the ice becomes snow free.

So is one total sea ice albedo sufficient?

10) Agreed if they are all measured on the sea ice portion of the grid box (cell methods.

Best wishes
Siobhan