⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard_name: surface_sea_water_velocity

From: gisbert.breitbach at gkss.de <gisbert.breitbach>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:30:28 +0200

> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:05:33 -0400
> From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith at whoi.edu>
> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] new standard_name:
> surface_sea_water_velocity
> To: beate.geyer at gkss.de
> Cc: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
>

> > these both variables already exist:
> > surface_eastward_sea_water_velocity and
> > surface_northward_sea_water_velocity
> >
> > we are in the need of
> > surface_sea_water_velocity
> >

> In some cases, it's preferable to provide speed and direction rather
> than vector velocities, at least for some current meters and anemometers
> that measure the former directly. I'm not sure if or how that applies
> to surface currents.
>
> I think the term requested may be surface_sea_water_speed, based on
> reading the definitions and use of the terms velocity and speed in the
> standard names table. A corresponding term for the direction would
> probably be in order, direction_of_surface_sea_water_velocity.
>
> For (non-surface) currents, we have sea_water_speed and
> direction_of_sea_water_velocity, plus a slew of vectors, including
> eastward_ northward_ and upward_sea_water_velocity. There are
> also x & y velocities, which may not require corresponding names for
> surface data.
>
> Would it be useful, or possible, for the on-line standard name search
> routine to return names containing 'speed' when 'velocity' is one of the
> search terms?
>
> Nan
>
> --
> * Nan Galbraith (508) 289-2444 *
> * Upper Ocean Processes Group Mail Stop 29 *
> * Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution *
> * Woods Hole, MA 02543 *

The measurement in question were HF-Radar measurements.
With a combination of different stations a surface velocity vector is
measured.
The measurements are stored as a grid in a netcdf file with the variables
(standard names):
surface_eastward_sea_water_velocity
surface_northward_sea_water_velocity

To visualize the measured data ncWMS/Godiva2 by Jon Blower is used.
This tools takes the components and creates a new display variable
surface_sea_water_velocity which is displayed as a vector.
The automatically created vector surface_sea_water_velocity doesn't exist
in the standard name table.

It would be nice if this vector could be added to the standard name table.

Gisbert
Dr. Gisbert Breitbach
Institut f?r K?stenforschung
Tel.: +49 4152 87 1563
Fax: +49 4152 87 4 1563
E-Mail: Gisbert.Breitbach at gkss.de

GKSS-Forschungszentrum Geesthacht GmbH
Max-Planck-Stra?e 1
21502 Geesthacht
Deutschland/Germany

Gesch?ftsf?hrer/Board of Management: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang A. Kaysser, Dipl.-Ing. Michael Gan?
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ministerialrat Wilfried Kraus

Amtsgericht L?beck HRB 285 GE (Register Court)
Internet: http://www.gkss.de