⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard_name: surface_sea_water_velocity

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:05:33 -0400

> these both variables already exist:
> surface_eastward_sea_water_velocity and
> surface_northward_sea_water_velocity
>
> we are in the need of
> surface_sea_water_velocity

In some cases, it's preferable to provide speed and direction rather
than vector velocities, at least for some current meters and anemometers
that measure the former directly. I'm not sure if or how that applies
to surface currents.

I think the term requested may be surface_sea_water_speed, based on
reading the definitions and use of the terms velocity and speed in the
standard names table. A corresponding term for the direction would
probably be in order, direction_of_surface_sea_water_velocity.

For (non-surface) currents, we have sea_water_speed and
direction_of_sea_water_velocity, plus a slew of vectors, including
eastward_ northward_ and upward_sea_water_velocity. There are
also x & y velocities, which may not require corresponding names for
surface data.

Would it be useful, or possible, for the on-line standard name search
routine to return names containing 'speed' when 'velocity' is one of the
search terms?

Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *