⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposals for two new standard_names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:31:23 +0100

Dear Beate,

your wave names have been waiting for attention for some time now - apologies for the delay in responding. Thank you for providing the detailed definitions. I am certainly not an expert in the field of sea surface wave spectra, but your names seem to be defined consistently with existing wave standard names.

> Ingeborg Noehren and I'd like to propose 2 new standard_names:
> Sea_surface_wave_skewness
> Sea surface wave skewness of the directional energy distribution per
> frequency D() is obtained from second order and third order circular
> moments of D().
> Unit: [1]
> Sea_surface_wave_kurtosis
> Sea surface wave kurtosis of the directional energy distribution per
> frequency D() is obtained from second order and fourth order circular
> moments of D().
> Unit: [1]

To make it clear that the names refer to the skewness and kurtosis of the sea surface wave directional energy spectrum and to make them more consistent with the wording of existing names I suggest:

skewness_of_sea_surface_wave_directional_energy_distribution; 1
kurtosis_of_sea_surface_wave_directional_energy_distribution; 1

Would that be OK?

Best wishes,
Alison
--