⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Grid mapping information

From: Rosalyn Hatcher <r.s.hatcher>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:56:38 +0100

>>> My grid mapping is Equidistant Cylindrical. SO in the nc I set as
>>> GLOBAL ATTRIBUTE
>>> ----------------------------------
>>> attname=Conventions
>>> value=CF-1.4
>>>
>>> attname=grid_mapping
>>> value=Cylindrical
>>> ------------------------------------
>>> Some question:
>>> 1) A collegue of mine told me that for CF 1.4 the grid_mapping is no
>>> more
>>> a global attribute but it is a variable attribute named as
>>> "grid_mapping_name".
>>>
>>> BUT I run the CF checker for 1.4 on my file and everything is ok!!!!
>>
>> The CF checker is limited in understanding the semantics, it often only
>> checks syntax.

 From my understanding of the Conventions there are 7 standard global
attributes:
'Conventions','title','history','institution','source','reference','comment'

However, there is nothing stopping non-standard global attributes being
defined.

"2.6: This standard describes many attributes (some mandatory, others
optional), but
a file may also contain non-standard attributes. Such attributes do not
represent a
violation of this standard."

Please correct me if I'm wrong! As stated above there is only so much
intelligence
that can added to the checker, often it is checking semantics.

I guess I could get the checker to compare any non-standard global
attribute with
the list of defined attributes in Appendix A and if it finds a match
issue an informational
statement.

Regards,
Rosalyn.