⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of ACDD metadata: dioes this break the CF convention and what are the implications

From: Kenneth S. Casey <Kenneth.Casey>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:18:53 -0400

Upendra et al.,

Great discussions... I would not however classify ACDD's bounding box elements as in conflict with the grid_mapping or even the actual dimension information... remembering its intent, those geospatial_lat_min, max, and lon min an max, are really just a convenience for those automated search tools... with those in there, a quick search of geospatial information can get you closer to the data you want... there are of course MANY limitations of the bounding box concept: satellite swaths don't follow simple boxes like this... collections of individual ocean profiles are not well described by drawing a box around them all, etc. But all that is "ok" in my mind because the use of attributes like these tends to support primarily that first level of collection discovery... not necessarily even down to a more granule level (though of course they can help there too depending on the nature of the granules). In terms of Upendra's example of a netCDF (CF) file with variables that have multiple grid mappings, I would s
imply put the bounding box around the outermost perimeter of those and move on to the next problem.

Steve pointed out that there is the potential for conflict when it comes to redundant information.. since for example the bounding box of a data set could be computed from its dimension variables. I am not worried about this - after all, the first version of GHRSST (the GDS1) used "northernmost_latitiude", etc., for years and I never heard of it causing problems for applications. Jean-Francois and others have pointed out how they built applications that rely on those attributes and that they find them essential. The question GHRSST was grappling with was simply whether to rename the old attributes to the ACDD names or not (at this point, we've decided to stick with 4 of the old attribute names - the four bounding box ones, and also use two non-ACDD time attributes, start_time and stop_time, but then include a bunch of other ACDD attributes. So GHRSST is moving forward with maybe 75% of the ACDD names, just guessing on that percentage).

Would or could CF contemplate incorporating ACDD elements into the CF standard? Does anyone think that Unidata would mind, since the ACDD is "theirs"??? CF would then evolve slightly to do both "use" metadata and "discovery" metadata.

Ken

p.s. - I cc'd some folks who were dropped off some of the earlier responses.