⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of ACDD metadata: dioes this break the CF convention and what are the implications

From: Upendra.Dadi at noaa.gov <Upendra.Dadi>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:36:04 -0400

Discovery metadata, as Ken pointed out, allows automated population of catalogs. The importance of catalogs has not caught on yet. I see data analysis as consisting of these steps among others:- 1) Search for required data 2) Download the data 3) Analyze the data.

NetCDF, CF-conventions and THREDDS/OpenDAP together allow machine readability of the data without having the data locally. The data could be local or remote, they can now be treated the same way. The download step is automated. But the user still has to know the remote location of the dataset. The search step is still there. With catalogs, searching is automated too. This is only the beginning. The catalogs could hold not just data metadata, but also metadata for processing services. This means that one could potentially combine seach and download steps with processing step. If I have a service to find average of values within a rectangular array of data, instead of asking the query- "Find all the GHRSST data corresponding to this variable for this region and this time period created by so and so.", one could potentially do much more powerful searches like - "Find all the GHRSST data for this region and this time period such that the average value is greater than a given val
ue." So now, simple seach has become search plus processing. To go even further, one could create complete computatinal models using data and processing service metadata present in the catalog.

Upendra
-------------- next part --------------
Ken, Craig,

    re: ACDD and CF

You are right, Craig, to phrase your question in terms of "guidance on
the future aspirations of CF". This topic deserves a more focussed
discussion within CF. Shooting from the hip, I'd be inclined to offer
these comments (recognizing that there is disagreement among individuals
who have discussed this):

   1. Many of the ACDD attributes (history, date_created, creator_name,
      ...) are largely non-controversial.
   2. CF generally favors attributes attached to variables over
      attributes attached to files, as it reduces the potential for
      conflicts. Conflicts from subsetting: What happens if you
      extract a single variable from a file to make a new file?
      Conflicts from editing: Suppose only a single variable in a CF
      file is altered.
   3. Some of the ACDD discovery attributes are redundant with respect
      to information already in the CF metadata, but is encoded by other
      means. For example, the ACDD geospatial_lon_min/max can be
      inferred from the CF coordinate system information. Redundant
      information only becomes a problem through its potential to lead
      to corruption. Example, a conflict arises with the global
      attributes time_coverage_start
      <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html#time_coverage_start_Attribute>/end
      when files are aggregated in time by ncML (a very common situation).

My own personal slant on this debate is that much of the ACDD content
would better placed in THREDDS metadata, than in the file itself.
THREDDS servers, such as TDS and HYRAX, could "intelligently" generate
many ACDD attributes based upon contents in the file. This approach
would eliminate many of the potential issues of redundancy and
conflicting information in a file. Full use of ACDD as global
attributes tends to lock us into maintaining the integrity of a "file".
If you believe that the future growth direction of netCDF and CF lies in
subsetting and aggregation capabilities (as I do) then the ACDD runs the
risk of painting you into some corners where you rather not be.

At this point, the best (though still lame!) advice would seem to be to
use the attributes thoughtfully, rather than carelessly.

    - Steve

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke