⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name for coordinate variable corresponding to complex parts (real and imaginary)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:41:37 +0100

Dear Brian

> Isn't the use of "cell_methods" with a value of "variance" an example where
> we don't require a different standard_name even though the units are
> different?

Yes. I simplified what I said in order not to be confusing, but perhaps the
result was confusing! Cell methods specifies statistical computations done on
the values of the variable in order to represent its subgrid variation, and
the resulting statistic might have a different unit.

Maybe cell_methods could be extended to represent some kinds of transformation,
such a calculating a probability density function or a Fourier transform. That
would be new kind of purpose for it. I don't see a reason to prefer that to
using the standard name to indicate the transformation, though, following the
the guidelines for construction of standard names.