⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: grid_mapping

From: cristina.tronconi at artov.isac.cnr.it <cristina.tronconi>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:33:53 +0200

Hello,
I have a netcdf file (chlorophyll gridded satellite daily map) in
which I have my variable chl(tim,lat,lon), then the vector of regular
lat and a vector for
regular lon.

My grid mapping is Equidistant Cylindrical. SO in the nc I set as
GLOBAL ATTRIBUTE
----------------------------------
      attname=Conventions
      value=CF-1.4

      attname=grid_mapping
      value=Cylindrical
------------------------------------
A collegue of mine told me that for CF 1.4 the grid_mapping is no more
a global attribute but it is a variable attribute named as
"grid_mapping_name".

BUT I run the CF checker for 1.4 on my file and everything is ok!!!!

first question:
Is it still correct /with cf 1.4) to set a global attribute as "grid_mapping"?
or must I put the same information as variable attribute? in this case, how?

second question:
are "Equidistant Cylindrical" and "Cylindrical" still valid values for
grid_mapping (or grid_mapping name)?

thanks in advanced
Cristina

Cristina Tronconi
Istituto di Scienze dell'Atmosfera e del Clima - sezione di Roma
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
Via Fosso del Cavaliere 100
00133 Roma, Italy
Tel: +39 06 49934342