⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds/precision for time axis

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 16:23:11 -0400

Hi Jon -

I think the term 'resolution' might be more correct in this case than
'precision' - These are the definitions we use, although I can't quite
find the source:

    * Resolution is the fineness to which an instrument can be read.
    * Precision is the fineness to which an instrument can be read
repeatably and reliably.

I'm also using the attribute 'C_format' - don't recall exactly which
convention
uses that, but it's a good way to indicate 'vagueness' - but I'm not
sure how
or if it could be used to indicate that the dates are only good to whole
days.

Cheers - Nan
> Hi Mike,
>
> This is useful, thanks. However, I'm not sure that this concept of
> "uncertainty" is exactly the same as my notion of "nominal precision"
> (maybe I've chosen a bad name). For example, I know for sure that an
> OSTIA daily analysis field is considered representative of a certain
> day, but the specification of exactly how the field is representative is
> complex. This, to me, is not quite the same as saying that the field
> represents 12 noon on that day, plus or minus 12 hours. It's more
> "imprecision" than "uncertainty".
>
> Would you agree with this distinction?
>
> Cheers, Jon

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *