⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds/precision for time axis

From: Jon Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:53:04 +0100

Thanks Steve, I agree that a "point_spacing:even" attribute would be
helpful to clients.

However, I think that the question of point spacing is separate to that
of nominal precision. A time axis may be evenly spaced with one point a
day, but the time axis values could be considered instantaneous
(00:00:00.000Z), or each timestep could be considered "representative"
of the whole day.

I guess the combination of "cell_methods=cell" and "point_spacing:even",
plus the separation between the first two points along the axis might
together give the nominal precision.

Perhaps instead of "point_spacing=even" we could have
"regular_point_spacing=1.0" to make things slightly easier on clients?
(Irregular axes would simply omit the regular_point_spacing attribute.)

(I worry a little that this mechanism wouldn't allow a nominal precision
of a month or year, which might be common for palaeo data, since months
and years are not of exactly equal length.)

Cheers, Jon