⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP5 ocean biogeochemistry standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:22:54 +0100

Dear John, Jonathan and Karl,

Thanks all for setting me straight! I see now that we are fine to stick
with the tendency names as originally agreed.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

integral_wrt_depth_of_tendency_of_sea_water_alkalinity_expressed_as_mol
> >> _equivalent

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_due_to_bio
> >> ogical_processes

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen_due_to_b
> >> ological_processes

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus_due_to
> _
> >> biological_processes

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_iron_due_to_biolo
> >> ical_processes

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicon_due_to_bi
> >> logical_processes

integral_wrt_depth_of_tendency_of_sea_water_alkalinity_expressed_as_mol
> >> _equivalent_due_to_biological_processes
> >>
> >> The first two names are defined as follows:
> >> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen
> >> 'Net time rate of change of dissolved inorganic carbon in upper
> 100m'
> >> and
> >> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus
> >> 'Net time rate of change of nitrogen nutrients (e.g. NO3+NH4) in
> upper
> >> 100m'.
> >> If these quantities should be interpreted as the time rate of
> >> change of
> >> the vertically integrated mole_concentration, then these names are
> >> correct.
> >>
> >> However, the remainder of the names have definitions along the
> >> lines of:
> >> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus
> >> 'Vertical integral of net time rate of change of phosphate in upper
> >> 100m',
> >> which is clearly the vertical integral of the rate of change and
> >> not the
> >> rate of change of the vertical integral. I don't think those two
> >> thingsare identical, are they?
> >>
> >> If the order of the calculation is important then I think we should
> >> adopt the pattern used in the alkalinity names for all these names,
> >> i.e.,

integral_wrt_depth_of_tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorg