⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Default datum for latitude and longitude?

From: Jonathan Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:04:49 +0100

Hi Phil,

Yes, I think strictly this is correct. But it does mean that, for data
that do not specify a datum, the only legitimate way to plot such data
as a map is as a latitude-longitude plot. Projection to any other
coordinate system would require knowledge of the datum in order to do
the mathematical transformation accurately (I think... possibly there
are some exceptions).

The suggestion for applications to print "health warnings" for
underspecified data is a good one.

Maybe future versions of CF should make the datum specification
mandatory, where it is known?

Jon