⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits 1 or 2 for CF?

From: Steve Emmerson <steve>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:19:49 -0700

CF-conventioners,

I recommend using full unit names and prefixes in unit specifications
for just this reason: unit symbols and prefix symbols can be ambiguous,
whereas unit names and prefix names are not.

The UDUNITS-2 package will format a binary unit into a string
representation using either symbols or names -- as requested by the client.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Andrew Clegg wrote:
I never thought of using the full word 'gram' - I've just checked and
'gram' and 'mgram' work on udunits-2 as well. Thanks.

However, I'm still concerned that there are differences between the 2
versions, and that this should be at least noted in the conventions.
Other people in the future will probably have the same problem, and it
would be nice to have a definitive answer. My (strong) personal
preference is to say that all unit strings should be correct when
interpreted with udunits-2, rather than relying on a set of 'hacks' to
ensure compatibility between the 2.