⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Questions on cell boundaries

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:25:02 -0800

Dear all,

Grid cell bounds were originally meant to provide precise information
about the spatial extent of each grid cell or the interval of time over
which a measurement was made. An ellipse would be inappropriate in
either of these two cases (because 2-d space can't be completely
completely represented by a set of non-overlapping ellipses). We note
that CF does not in fact unambiguously provide any information about the
shape of the grid cells; it just says that there are "vertices" that get
connected (presumably by quasi-straight lines, perhaps running along
great-circles or latitude circles). An ellipse might be considered a
special case in which the "vertices" are connected by curves following
the shape of an ellipse (with the definition of "vertice" stretched in
this case to mean the 4 locations representing locally maximum distances
from the center of the ellipse).

Perhaps that's too much of a stretch, but I think it points to the fact
that we might think a bit longer about what cell "shapes" might be need
to specified. Should we specify, for example, that for a particular
latitude-longitude grid the grid cell latitude bounds might follow
latitude circles, while the longitude bounds follow great circles along
lines of longitude?

In the measurement examples provided as motivation for extending the
definition of cell bounds to include ellipses, the cell shapes were in
fact only *approximately* represented by an ellipse, so should the
description include this information to distinguish it from a true
ellipse (i.e., should we use the words "approximate ellipse" rather than
"ellipse")?

Best regards,
Karl