⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Questions on cell boundaries

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:36:05 -0500

Four coordinates and an area is enough to define an ellipse; if
these are more complex shapes, that's another problem.

As long as these are ellipses, the existing convention should work; you'd
give the n/s e/w extremes of the disc in lat(cell), lon(cell) and use
cell_measures = "area: cell_area" after calculating the area from the
lengths
of the major & minor axes.

Maybe my geometry is even rustier than I thought, otherwise this should
work as it exists in the standard.

> The vertices of the cells can be stored in the variable identified by
> the bounds
> attribute, but the cell perimeter is not uniquely defined by its
> vertices (because
> the vertices could, for example, be connected by straight lines, or,
> on a sphere,
> by lines following a great circle, or, in general, in some other way).

- Nan