⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] seeking CF name for total water column height

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:42:53 +0100

Hi Alison,

*About the 'water level' vs 'sea surface height'

In the case of Jeff needs would only concern ocean data, would you mind if I ask CF to introduce both? I was about to ask CF for such quantities on rivers and lakes..

*About reference datum, my opinion is that considering CF standard name is supposed to uniquely identify one geophysical field, we should ask: "are there as many standard names as there are datums?"

Is the sea surface height above French Naval Chart Datum geophysically different from the sea surface height above French Naval Chart Datum for Lebanon? If the answer is yes, I guess introducing a new datum attribute in CF would be relevant.

By the way if we consider the sea surface height above geoid, geoid is not exactly a datum, or became indirectly a datum: the whole quantity refers first to the geophysical information retrieved, which is the absolute ocean topography, and which is not obtained by measuring some heights and subtracting geoid heights from. It is really full of meaning in terms of ocean dynamics - and less on the way it was really measured..

*I confirm that what you explained about distinction between the same geophysical field obtained by different sensors was also applied by OSTST/Jason community. In the NetCDF product you can have 2 variables with the same standard name, but one is obtained via the onboard instrument, and the second via ECMWF forecasts. It is another illustration.

Cheers,

Olivier.