⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] seeking CF name for total water column height

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:09:43 -0500

Hi Roy -
> I was arguing at the start of this thread ...

This first came up in August, 2008:

Subject: Same parameter, different meaning (pressure)

Can (or should) the CF standard differentiate between these
two very different measurements of sea water pressure:

The consensus then was that we should use a single name and infer
the "meaning" of the data from metadata about how the sensor was
mounted.
> ... that an instantaneous single-beam echosounder measurement is the so close to being the same thing as a BPR measurement in tidal mode with waves filtered out (ever looked at echosounder data from an anchored ship?) that they should be called the same thing on the basis that the Standard Name represents the phenomenon and should not describe how it was measured.

Exactly; they're comparable when the BPR is processed in a specific
way - and not comparable otherwise. So, does data from the different
modes of a pressure recorder (or data that's been post-processed as you
describe) constitute different physical phenomena, worthy of different
standard names, or not?

It looks like we're sticking with the original decision, and using a single
name, but users will need to come to some agreement on how to
document the sensor mounting and/or post-processing, to provide enough
information to understand the "meaning" of the data.

Cheers - Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *