⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Some questions about 360-day calendars

From: Jonathan Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:14:25 -0000

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how to handle some climate data with a 360-day
calendar. As I understand it
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/cf-conventions.ht
ml#calendar), this calendar uses 12-month years with exactly 30 days
each. I have a few questions:

1) In this system, how long is a day in milliseconds? Is it the normal
24*60*60*1000? Or is it somehow scaled so that a year of 360 days has
the same number of milliseconds as an "average" Gregorian year?

2) Is there any way of translating (even roughly) between 360-day and
Gregorian calendars? E.g. perhaps one could, for a given date-time,
calculate the fraction of a year that has elapsed and apply this in the
conversion? Or is the comparison only meaningful in a statistical sense
(e.g. annual/seasonal averages)?

3) Would the most usual way to encode a CF time axis in a 360-day
calendar be to use "days since..."? I guess if a day has a standard
length in (milli)seconds then one could also safely use "seconds
since..."?

4) Finally on practical note: I seem to remember that someone has
implemented the 360-day calendar using the Java library joda-time? Is
this code available for re-use?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/People/Staff/Blower_J.htm