⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] seeking CF name for total water column height

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:32:24 +0000

Hi John,

Ah, I thought you were objecting to having different names for different averaging intervals. Let's see if I can improve the definition.

There are three varieties of water depth (sea_floor_depth_below_sea_surface) that I've encountered.

1 Instantaneous measurements collected at high frequency over a short time interval designed to quantify waves. These are normally reduced to a raft of wave statistics by processing on board the instrument and I've certainly never seen them as a stream and so didn't see any point in setting up a separate standard name.

2 Measurements averaged over a sampling interval (an hour or shorter) to filter out variance caused by normal waves but not tide (or unusually long period waves). This is Jeff's stream, and also pretty much what is measured by an echosounder mounted on all but the smallest ship.

3 Long-term averages or nominal calculations by models that filter out (or ignore in the case of models) the variances caused by waves and tide - which are covered by the existing Standard Name 'sea_floor_depth_below_mean_sea_level'.

How about 'The vertical distance between the sea surface and the seabed as measured at a given point in space including the variance caused by tides and possibly waves'? Or can you do better?

Cheers, Roy.