⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Keyword-centred list of Standard Names

From: Robert Muetzelfeldt <r.muetzelfeldt>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:56:05 +0000

Thanks for your comments, John.

I think the white space you mention results from some extra formatting
(newlines etc) I inserted into the generated HTML source, in order to
make that more readable for anyone who wants to View Source. I've now
taken that out, and updated the published version. The only white space
that I get now when I copy-and-paste a line is a tab character just
before the centred keyword. I guess that results from the fact that
that is the boundary between two cells (<td> elements), which is what I
use in order to get all the centred keywords aligned vertically. So
there's nothing I can do about that.

Whatever, I don't actually envisage that many people will actually be
wanting to cut-and-paste from the keyword-centred list - it's not really
the point of the exercise.

What I could do is to provide a link on each row to the corresponding
row in the HTML Standard Name table on the CF Metadata web site - would
that be useful? Amongst other benefits, anyone who wanted to
cut-and-paste the name could get it from there.

Cheers,
Robert

John Caron wrote:
> Robert Muetzelfeldt wrote:
>> As part of an exercise looking at the grammatical structure of
>> CF-metadata Standard Names, I have produced a list of all occurrences
>> of all keywords, with the full Standard Name arranged to the left and
>> right of the page-centred keyword. All the remaining words in each
>> Standard Name are hyperlinks, so it is easy to navigate around the
>> list by clicking on individual words. This keyword-centred format
>> makes it easy to see the pattern of the terms which precede and
>> succeed each keyword.
>>
>> The current version can be found at
>> http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html So far,
>> tested only in Firefox.
>>
>> Please note that this is a working prototype, developed for my own
>> use. I just thought that others might be interested in this way of
>> browsing through the Standard Names. Please also note that the list
>> of Standard Names it uses was downloaded in Oct 2008, so is well out
>> of date. If this is considered to be a useful resource, I would be
>> happy to discuss (offline) options for improving the formatting and
>> keeping the list up to date.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Robert
>>

> this is very cool.
>
> one thing i noticed is that on the web page, you have an embedded
> blank (or something) after the "_", which makes it harder to cut and
> paste the name.
>
> *bolus*_
> northward
> <http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html#northward>_
> sea <http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html#sea>_
> water <http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html#water>_
> velocity
> <http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html#velocity>
> <http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html#velocity>
> <http://www.similette.com/cfmetadata/centred_list.html#velocity>

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.