⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell bounds associated with coordinate variable rather than data variable

From: Thomas Lavergne <thomasl>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 23:06:14 +0000 (UTC)

So far, we seem to agree that:
1) mid-point should be used if there if not strong arguments for doing so,
2) mid-point is actually the most representative value for _evenly_ averaged quantities,
3) time accumulated/integrated quantities are maybe the exception.

What about integrated quantities along other axis, then? Aerosol Optical Depth (z), Mean Sea Level Pressure (z), broadband reflectance (wavelength), spectral directional-hemispherical albedo (view angles)... at which axis value would they be expected?

Let's not forget that, in the end, we are only trying to "patch" over the requirement for a valid axis value (COARDS/Unidata) and that "practical" reasons (like mentionned by Seth for the time associated to NWP fields) might be just as valid as "theoretical" choices.

Thomas