⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell bounds associated with coordinate variable rather than data variable

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:58:49 +0000

Dear Thomas

The reason for the asymmetry is that point coordinates are required by Unidata
and COARDS conventions, whereas cell bounds were introduced by CF. Most of the
new features introduced by CF are not mandatory, only recommended.

I agree that it would be helpful if we made a definite recommendation for the
values of the point coordinates, for the case where the data-writer does not
know what to choose. It is important that sensible coord values should be
provided, since generic applications may not consult the bounds. We could
put a recommendation at the end of the preamble to Sect 4.

I'd say the mid-point is the obvious choice. What do you think?

Cheers

Jonathan