⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] further cloud variables for cmip5

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:04:08 -0000

Dear Mark,

It appears that all your names are agreed!

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection
tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_an
d_boundary_layer_mixing
tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_
and_boundary_layer_mixing

are accepted and will be added to the standard name table at the next
update. Thanks for your patience.

Best wishes,
Alison

> > Thanks for updating your proposals. Please see below for my
> > to the individual names.
>
> Thanks for your consideration. On the outstanding points you raise:
>
> > > For the same reason I propose that
> > >
> > > 5/ tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection
> > > should replace
> > > tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_moist_convection
> >
> > We currently have separate names for
> > tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_moist_convection and
> > tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_dry_convection which allows the
> > possibility of treating these processes separately. I would
> understand
> > a name of tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection to mean the
> > temperature tendency resulting from both moist and dry processes.
Is
> > that what you intend? If so, then I think we should introduce a new
> > name of tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection but it should
> not
> > be an alias for the moist convection name.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > Finally, due to the nature of their cloud schemes, some models are
> > > unable
> > > to separate the tendencies from boundary layer mixing, stratiform
> > cloud
> > > and precipitation. Hence I propose two new combined tendency
terms:

> > > 4/

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_a
> > > nd_boundary_layer
> > >
> > > 5/

tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation
> > > _and_boundary_layer
>
> > I would suggest adding '_mixing' to the end of these names for
> > consistency with the existing name

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_due_t
> > _condensation_and_evaporation_from_boundary_layer_mixing. That
would
> > give:

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_a
> > d_boundary_layer_mixing

tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation
> _
> > and_boundary_layer_mixing
>
> Agreed.
>
> regards,
> Mark

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
--
Scanned by iCritical.