⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] further cloud variables for cmip5

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:52:48 -0000

Dear Mark,

Thanks for updating your proposals. Please see below for my responses
to the individual names.

You proposed two new names for cloud condensate tendencies:

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_due_to
_convective_detrainment (s-1)

tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_ice_in_air_due_to_convecti
ve_detrainment (s-1)

These are consistent with other recently added names and look fine.
These two names are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

> I would like to revise my proposal regarding temperature and humidity
> tendencies made on July 2nd.
>
> I proposed that:
>
> tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_large_scale_precipitation
>
> should have an alias

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_condensation_and_ev
> aporation
>
> since latent heat release occurs through cloud condensation rather
than
> precipitation.
>
> However, it has been pointed out that precipitation does affect
> temperature and humidity through evaporation of precipitating
> hydrometeors.
>
> Hence I propose that
>
> 1/ tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_precipitation
>
> should be a new alias for
>
> tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_large_scale_precipitation
>
> and
>
> 2/ tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_precipitation
>
> should be a new alias for
>
> tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_large_scale_precipitation
>
> (see earlier post for justification of large_scale-> stratiform).

Both these look fine. I will create the aliases at the next update to
the standard name table.

> Also, some ambiguities and inconsistencies have been
> pointed out in the existing names. So I would like
> to propose:
>
> 3/ A new name tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_model_physics
> for consistency with the existing
> tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_model_physics
>
> This is because the existing
>
> tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_diabatic_processes
>
> is difficult to diagnose if taken literally (i.e.
> including parametrized adiabatic heating, e.g.
> from dry convection or boundary layer mixing in the
> absence of clouds.)

The proposed name is clear and I agree that it is consistent with the
existing relative humidity name.
tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_model_physics is accepted.

> For the same reason I propose that
>
> 5/ tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection
> should replace
> tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_moist_convection

We currently have separate names for
tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_moist_convection and
tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_dry_convection which allows the
possibility of treating these processes separately. I would understand
a name of tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection to mean the
temperature tendency resulting from both moist and dry processes. Is
that what you intend? If so, then I think we should introduce a new
name of tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_convection but it should not
be an alias for the moist convection name.

On 16th July you proposed new names for convective mass fluxes
(following some discussion with Jonathan regarding the spelling):
> atmosphere_updraft_convective_mass_flux kg m-2 s-1
>
> atmosphere_downdraft_convective_mass_flux kg m-2 s-1
>
> atmosphere_shallow_convective_mass_flux kg m-2 s-1
> For models with a distinct shallow convection scheme only.
>
> atmosphere_deep_convective_mass_flux kg m-2 s-1 For models
> with a distinct deep convection scheme only.
These names look fine and they are accepted for inclusion in the
standard name table.

> Finally, due to the nature of their cloud schemes, some models are
> unable
> to separate the tendencies from boundary layer mixing, stratiform
cloud
> and precipitation. Hence I propose two new combined tendency terms:
>
> 4/

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_a
> nd_boundary_layer
>
> 5/

tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation
> _and_boundary_layer

I would suggest adding '_mixing' to the end of these names for
consistency with the existing name
tendency_of_mass_fraction_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water_in_air_due_to
_condensation_and_evaporation_from_boundary_layer_mixing. That would
give:
tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_an
d_boundary_layer_mixing
tendency_of_specific_humidity_due_to_stratiform_cloud_and_precipitation_
and_boundary_layer_mixing

Do you agree?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
--
Scanned by iCritical.