⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag valuesinnetcdf cf

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:54:54 +0100

Hi Roy,

This discussion has reached some very interesting points to come in the near future.

If we introduce such extents related to CF, using URIs, personally I am not totally against it and I believe this example with flags is an excellent illustration of that need.
And probably we'll need " dedicated organisation with a high level of professionalism" like yours, Roy :) But I am also persuaded that ontologies (it is indirectly that topic) are not forced to obey services or be under control from a service provider. The philosophy of ontologies, and technologies like OWL, is carrying some knowledge and enrich this knowledge by sharing it. Maybe an authority is needed to control and ensure the integrity of a vocabulary, like a database administrator. But everyone should be free to use the source file and enrich/adapt it to its own needs. I sincerely hope this will happen. (end of the disgression)

Cheers

Olivier.