⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag valuesinnetcdf cf

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:39:31 +0100

V. Balaji wrote:
> Bryan Lawrence writes:
>
>> My job is to persist data indefinitely, and I'm relying on vocabulary
>> servers ... (and in particular, Roy's ... ) somehow we will persist
>> the vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk address, regardless of nerc's future, and of
>> ndg's future, although if ac.uk went away we might be in trouble :-).
>
> Could happen...
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/oct/18/conservatives-defence
>
> I see nerc.co.uk coming...

I would like to discuss the use of persistent identifiers.
Presently, We are using the DOI and URN persistent identifiers
for the publication and reference of primary data (www.std-doi.de).

For our application, of course, the DOI (http://dx.doi.org/) and URN
(http://www.persistent-identifier.de/resolving/ResolverDemo.php)
systems are not adequate. However, the idea of persistent identifiers
or keywords could solve the problem of the persistent metadata
identification in the NetCDF-CF header. The persistent identifier
doesn't need to contain semantic meaning. The URL before it could be
changed but the object (meaning) behind must be persistent.

We wold need a resolver system which should be installed at more than
one institute. I am not an expert to set up a resolver system but
may be there is anyone who has experience with it.

Best wishes
Heinke