⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Sea water transparency and reflectance.

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:53:34 +0100

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for your input.

Yes there is already a reflectance quantity in CF, but it is the TOA one. Anyway to me the definition of reflectance in general is probably broader than in your needs, then I think introducing

"ratio_of_upwelling_radiance_emerging_from_sea_water_to_downwelling_radiative_flux_in_air (sr^-1)"

as you suggested, is a good idea because usually CF standard names have to match exactly the geophysical content of one variable. And, moreover, I think it's better to build a new standard name from existing ones.

Concerning the geometry of observation, we could introduce "angle_of_incidence" as suggested by Jonathan, plus probably something like "azimuth_angle"?
And in CF there is already quantities such as "solar_azimuth_angle" and "solar_elevation_angle" to describe the solar part in the geometry of observation in ocean colour products, if necessary.

Best regards,

Olivier.